Simplify the purchase flow, allow customers to customize their services and allow marketing to provide special offers, upsells and cross sells.
In 2019, the new acquisition team was mandated to audit and evaluate our entire online experience and propose design solutions to relentlessly simplify and improve our online purchase flow to increase conversions.
Research and analysis
We had UX researchers conduct in-depth generative and evaluative research with our customers, stakeholders, competitors and benchmark studies with our current digital experience.
Main pain points
1. It took high effort for customers to get through the current purchase flow
2. Customers needed specific pieces of information to be confident in their purchase decision
3. Different customers required different pathways, messaging and components to instill confidence in their purchase decision
Current purchase flow
After research, benchmark testing and gathering data, we identified areas for customer experience improvement.
We designed and user tested several approaches, as seen below. We found the sweet spot with a combination of having bundled product pages and having an interstitial page.
The Importance of the Interstitial Page
The interstitial page allowed customers to:
1. Review and confirm their selections
2. Customize their services
3. Allow the business to upsell and cross sell products and services
Here are some early explorations:
We tested and iterated every common customer scenario of the interstitial page; from the overall flow, down to its components. Here’s where we are today…
• Increased conversions 15% month over month
• Increased attachment rate by 20%
• Decreased journey steps by 37%
Up Next: The Service Bundle BuilderView next project